10 Things You Should Know About the Promises of God
- That which He has promised cannot be thwarted. Who can stay His hand? Who can frustrate His purposes? Who is His equal?
“For as the rain and the snow come down from heaven and do not return there but water the earth, making it bring forth and sprout, giving seed to the sower and bread to the eater, so shall my word be that goes out from my mouth; it shall not return to me empty, but it shall accomplish that which I purpose, and shall succeed in the thing for which I sent it.” Isaiah 5:10-11
- That which He has promised is good for those who are His. Take heart, His ways are higher than ours, better than ours, and perfect in every way. Be anxious for nothing.
“For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans forwelfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.” Jeremiah 29:11
- That which He has promised is horrible for those who reject Him. The victory is His and He has already won. Don’t be foolish and don’t delay. For the God of the universe is righteous and we are unrighteous. Believe Him now and be consumed by His love. Reject Him now and be consumed by His wrath.
“Therefore wait for me,” declares the LORD, “for the day when I rise up to seize the prey. For my decision is to gather nations, to assemble kingdoms, to pour out upon them my indignation, all my burning anger; for in the fire of jealousy all the earth shall be consumed.” Zephaniah 3:8
- That which He has promised is available to everyone who surrenders to Him. All those who call on Him He will rescue. Avail yourself of His great mercy.
“Yet even now,” declares the Lord, “return to me with all your heart, with fasting, with weeping, and with mourning; and rend your hearts and not your garments.” Return to the Lord your God, for He is gracious and merciful, slow to anger, and abounding in steadfast love; and He relents over disaster. Joel 2:12-13
- That which He has promised cannot be earned. His promises are a gift. Hallelujah, amen.
His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who called us to his own glory and excellence, by which he has granted to us his precious and very great promises, so that through them you may become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped from the corruption that is in the world because of sinful desire. 1 Peter 1:3-4
- That which He has promised He will do. He won’t relent. You can rely on Him to do exactly what He said He will do. He is faithful.
“God is not a man, that he should lie, or a son of man, that he should change His mind. Has He said, and will He not do it? Or has He spoken, and will He not fulfill it?” Numbers 23:19
- That which He has promised He will do completely. He doesn’t over commit. He will not fail.
Thus the Lord gave to Israel all the land that he swore to give to their fathers. And they took possession of it, and they settled there. And the Lord gave them rest on every side just as he had sworn to their fathers. Not one of all their enemies had withstood them, for the Lord had given all their enemies into their hands. Not one word of all the good promises that the Lord had made to the house of Israel had failed; all came to pass. Joshua 21:43-45
- That which He has promised is undeserved, unfathomable, and unimaginable. In the wake of man’s rebellion, in an act of great love, He makes the most amazing promise. He promises a Messiah, One who will deliver us from death.
“The Lord God said to the serpent, “Because you have done this, cursed are you above all livestock and above all beasts of the field: on your belly you shall go, and dust you shall eat all the days of your life. I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heel.” Genesis 3:15
- That which He has promised is fulfilled in Jesus, the Christ. There is no other name by which we can be saved.
For the Son of God, Jesus Christ, whom we proclaimed among you, Silvanus and Timothy and I, was not Yes and No, but in him it is always Yes. For all the promises of God find their Yes in him. That is why it is through him that we utter our Amen to God for his glory. And it is God who establishes us with you in Christ, and has anointed us, and who has also put his seal on us and given us his Spirit in our hearts as a guarantee.
10. That which He has promised is for all peoples, from all nations, from all tribes, from all tongues, from all stations, from all depths of depravity. The only thing that disqualifies you from eternity with Him is a rejection of His Grace.
For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; for the same Lord is Lord of all, bestowing his riches on all who call on him. Romans 10:12
There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. Galatians 3:28
After this I looked, and behold, a great multitude that no one could number, from every nation, from all tribes and peoples and languages, standing before the throne and before the Lamb, clothed in white robes, with palm branches in their hands, and crying out with a loud voice, “Salvation belongs to our God who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb!” Revelation 7:9