Not every believer has had a road to Damascus conversion experience. Not everyone knew from the word go that they were His. Since the creation of His Church, people have questioned their salvation. How do we know this? The entire book of 1 John was written to address this very topic. God Himself, writing through John, has provided for us tests that will help us to “know that (we) have eternal life.” God has not left us in the dark regarding whether or not we will be with Him forever. We don’t have to live in doubt of our salvation. We can know. The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God. And since God’s Word is dependable, His testimony is irrefutable. Hallelujah, amen. What say you?
- Do you keep his commands? You are not saved by the law, and it is not possible for you to keep the law as long as you are on this side of eternity, but your desire, your progress in keeping His commands testifies that the Holy Spirit dwells within you.
- Do you live as Jesus did? Are you bearing a greater and greater resemblance to Christ day by day, year after year?
- Do you love your brother and sister in Christ? Do you look forward to spending time with believers? Are you willing to sacrifice for their sake? Are you willing to put their needs before your own?
- Do you love God more than the world or anything in the world? What is it that you desire? God or His creation? Do you lovingly and willingly share you material possessions with your brothers or sisters in need?
- Do you acknowledge Jesus? Would your friends and family be able to testify that you are a committed follower of Jesus Christ?
- Do you recognize and hate your sin and repent or do you keep on sinning? Being saved does not mean you are free from sin but it does mean that sin begins to lose its allure. Once you belong to Christ, sin becomes less and less attractive to you, abhorrent even.
Still not sure? Don’t let another moment go by without settling the matter. There is nothing more important. There is nothing more urgent. Call out to Him, confess your sins, surrender your life to Him, ask Him to forgive you and be Lord of your life. If you confess your sins, He is faithful and just and will forgive you and purify you from all unrighteousness. ALL who call on Jesus will be saved, ALL. The only sin that will keep you from spending now and forever with Him is the sin of unbelief.