The Word on Charity
Scripture is replete with verse after verse instructing God’s people to be generous to the poor. God’s statements regarding how we treat the poor include both blessings and curses. We know that if God repeats Himself over and over again, we ought to pay close attention to what He has to say.
- If there is a poor man among your brothers in any of the towns of the land that the LORD your God is giving you, do not be hardhearted or tightfisted toward your poor brother. There will always be poor people in the land. Therefore I command you to be openhanded toward your brothers and toward the poor and needy in your land. (Deuteronomy 15:7, 11)
- When you reap the harvest of your land, do not reap to the very edges of your field or gather the gleanings of your harvest. Leave them for the poor and the alien. I am the LORD your God. (Leviticus 23:22)
- I was young and now I am old, yet I have never seen the righteous forsaken or their children begging bread. They are always generous and lend freely; their children will be blessed. (Psalm 37:25-26)
- Blessed is he who has regard for the weak; the LORD delivers him in times of trouble. The LORD will protect him and preserve his life; he will bless him in the land and not surrender him to the desire of his foes. (Psalm 41:1-2)
- He who despises his neighbor sins, but blessed is he who is kind to the needy. (Proverbs 14:21)
- He who is kind to the poor lends to the LORD, and he will reward him for what he has done. (Proverbs 19:17)
- He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. (Proverbs 14:31)
- If a man shuts his ears to the cry of the poor, he too will cry out and not be answered. (Proverbs 21:13)
- He who gives to the poor will lack nothing, but he who closes his eyes to them receives many curses. Proverbs 28:27)
- Now this was the sin of your sister Sodom: She and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy. (Ezekiel 16:49
- Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. (Luke 6:38)
- But when you give a banquet, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind, and you will be blessed. Although they cannot repay you, you will be repaid at the resurrection of the righteous. (Luke 14:13-14)
God cares for the poor and He hears their cries. Shouldn’t we do likewise? Let us be generous to others as our Father is generous to us.
Willing2Share seeks to glorify God by distributing the provision of God to those in need. To donate, visit the Willing2Share “Want to Help?” page. Need help? There is a page for that too. To keep up-to-date on “what’s new” and upcoming events, please click here to subscribe to our newsletter.