What is Your Heart’s Desire?
Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart. Psalms 37:4
What does it mean to delight ourselves in the Lord?
To “delight ourselves in the Lord” means to admire Him above all else. It means to be overwhelmed by His greatness, His character, His love and His kindness. Delighting in Him means we are thrilled to know Him, even excited to know Him. We can’t get over how wonderful it is to be His. If we are delighted with God, we are completely satisfied in Him, wanting nothing more than to know Him better. We delight in Him when we yearn for the things of God, when we are pleased with Him and His will. When we prefer God and the Word of God and the will of God, above all the lesser delights of this world and the flesh, we delight in Him. And if we do, if we treasure Him, God will give us the desire of our heart. And if we treasure Him, He will be the desire of our heart. Can we imagine it? Greater intimacy with the God of the universe. Greater understanding of His will for us. Greater peace. More wisdom. More joy. More God.
So how do we delight ourselves in the Lord? It is simple, we must get to know Him because to know Him is to love Him and to love Him is to delight in Him. How do we do that?
- We must surrender all to Him, believing that He is exactly who He has revealed Himself to be. Believing He has done everything said He has done. Believing He will do what He said He will do. Believing we have no hope apart from His grace and His mercy.
- We must devote ourselves to reading God’s Word. Every day.
- We must pray without ceasing. We should devote time every day to talk to Him. We should also cry out to Him, praise Him, thank Him, and rely on Him all day long.
- We must spend time, be in community with His people.
- We must trust Him and do everything He has told us to do and be holy as He is Holy.